Sunday, January 13, 2013

Memories- I don't want to forget any!

This year, is going to be a great year! I am really looking forward to everything this year has in store for me. The Lord has such a wonderful plan for my life- and I am excited to see His plan.

Several of my friends did a Memory Jar last year, each time something happened whether it be a good memory or something funny that happened that day, they wrote it down on a piece of paper and put it in a jar. Well, I thought this was a great idea! So I decided to make one for myself.

Instead of going out to buy some fun scrapbook paper to write my memories on, I decided to reuse something! Last summer, I bought a Lilly Pulitzer planner. I thought it was the cutest, ever. It had pretty colors, it was just the right size, I loved it. But I also loved it because Lilly Pulitzer is very popular at school. So, I get to school; I'm sitting in my meeting for Ambassador and I decide to put the events in my new calendar. I pull out my new planner, and begin to write. I then notice another girl pull out the same planner… "Hmm, odd..?" I think to myself- it is probably just a coincidence. Well, then another girl pulls out the planner in a different pattern, and then another, I see them everywhere! The icing on the cake was when the boy beside me pulled one out! (That part was made up for your enjoyment) 

As I go through my first week at school, I see these planners everywhere! Everyone has one. I felt more like a conformist than when I bought my Uggs. This planner needed to go. I didn't like it anymore. It was bulky and I felt as if since I had it, I was just like everyone else. And I didn't (don't) like Lilly Pulitzer that much to begin with. So I decided to be like all the hipsters and get a Moleskine planner. I am so original, right? ;) 

Anyways, I tell you this so you know that I have had an unused Lilly Pulitzer planner laying around for the past year. This is the preface to my crafty extravaganza. 

For this memory jar, I needed fun paper to write my memories on! I couldn't just write them on plain white paper?! So I needed to wait until I got paid because the funds were dwindling since I went to Passion… But I would be missing so many great memories! So one day after class, I get back to my room and I am just feeling very crafty. I love art projects and I love crafting- it relaxes me and soothes my soul. If you don't do it that often, I recommend it! 

As I sit on my bed, raiding my craft box to see if there is any fun scrap book paper- I see the planner sitting on my bookshelf above my bed. I hear the hallelujah chorus sing and I leap to grab this beacon of hope! I begin ripping the pages out with the cute pictures and patterns. I start cutting them out, getting more excited by the minute. I finish cutting and I go into my closet and pull out a spare Mason jar (it is essential for a southern lady to have many spare Mason jars in her closet) and begin to fill it with several memories that have already happened.   


This planner, a beacon of hope for a college student who is on a forced budget, was used to make a memory jar for 2013!

I begin to rip out the pages, I see some of my plans from 2012- I am reminded of a wonderful year filled with growth!

Each of the patterns are so fun! However, I would probably never choose to wear them on my body. I admire the ladies who can pull them off!
As I was ripping out the pages, there were several quotes in the planner that were just a tad bit lame…

Shells are so last year…

Pink and green don't make good disguises! Thats common sense!


Shouldn't it say "Play lemonade stand?"
(I actually believe they may be referring to the fact that Lilly Pulitzer started out but working at a juice stand and would make fun patterned aprons, and her friends/customers were more interested in the aprons rather than the juice)

I'm not sure if this is a good message to be sending to college students… 
These quotes were seen in the beginning of each new month, most of them were pretty lame. I found them to be very worldly… But there were a few that I did like! 

Appreciating animals will NEVER go out of style! 

This one needs little explanation: I love plants, so therefore I love leaves! 
The cutting took a while, but in the end it was well worth it! 


My finished project! I had to play a little catch up and fill in some memories already.

All of the cutting paid off! My hand was very sore, but in the end it was worth it!
This project was a lot of fun! I enjoy being able to reuse things and not have to waste things. I hope after this post you are inspired to reuse old things and to craft more! Both are a habit that will leave you feeling wonderful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment