Friday, January 14, 2011

It is official.

I have made it official. I am no longer a member of the addicting, superficial world of Facebook.  I deactivated my account only a few moments ago. When I went to deactivate it, Facebook told me that some of my virtual friends will miss me. Yes, you read that right--I was told that 5 different people would miss me.  I don't remember exactly who they were but Facebook said, "So and so will miss you" and then showed a pictured of me and so and so. And it did that for 4 other people; in addition it gave me the option of sending them a message and "reconnecting" with them.  I also had to give a reason for my departure and when I clicked the option of "I spend way too much time of Facebook" a solution came up. Yes, a solution to not spend time on Facebook.  Hmm, how much harder is Facebook going to try and stop me from deactivating my account?  The solution you ask?  "You can limit the amount of time you spend on Facebook by not recieving emails about your notifications."  Not a very good solution if you ask me, because when I started my Facebook account I cared nothing about emails! Come on, I was in highschool. I actually had already chose to not recieve emails about my notifications!  I thought you should know this Facebook, how long have we been together?!  4 years. And you didn't even know I chose not to recieve emails about my notifications.  What other lies will I learn about our relationship?  So good try Facebook, but I'm sorry to say that you have lost a devoted stalker of people who she never sees in real life and wishes "to keep in touch" with the people "close" to her.  Facebook didn't give up at the guilt trip of who would "miss me" once I leave. Nooo, once I had done the deed, the Facebook log in page came up with my email typed in and the "Keep me logged in" box checked; all that was left to do was type in my password. There was also a sweet good bye note that said "Hope to see you back again soon.  We will miss you." Really?  It also gave me instructions on how to reactivate my account, all I have to do is simply log in as I normally would using my email and password.  Gosh, what and ordeal I thought.  Who would have thought it would be this big of a deal to deactivate, not even delete, their Facebook account.

Since I had just lost a social network friend, I went to the next closest thing: my email.  And I had to my very surprise an email from Facebook telling me that I had just deactivated my account and if I wish to return all I would have to do is log in using my email and password just as I normally would do--Yaaa I know! You already told me once.   And it also gave me a link to do so! As if I had immediate regrets on my decission!  Facebook REALLY wasn't going to give up, I am sure he was determined to be the last man satanding and get the last word in.  Gosh, did I just end a long term relationship?   I told Facebook I wasn't intrested in him anymore and he had his heart set on showing my many reasons why I should still date him.  As if I didn't mean it the first time, FACEBOOK I AM OVER YOU.  Geez, do I have to spell it out in HTML script for you Facebook?! Why is it such a big deal?  So Facebook decided to send a note to my email; he sank that low.  He went to the other virtual relationship I have to try and get me back.  Facebook is a long term boyfriend who really loves me and uses his resources really well--his main one being my email.  Don't you mess with my good friend the email!  He tells me how it is, doesn't play games, and is a devoted friend who doesn't consume my life.  But you Facebook, youuuu, you are the worst. You demand SO much time out of my life!  And you are soo unsatisfiying. So I bid you farewale, thanks for a whole lot of nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment