Friday, January 6, 2012

Never-ending habit.

I once told my friend, who is a year above me in school, that I had been thinking about my future. She giggled and said, "Don't, you'll never stop." I should have taken her advice! It's a consuming, never-ending habit. I allow myself to think of the fun parts of my future; such as what I'll wear to my big-girl job, how excited I am to have my own apartment and decorate it, and experimenting with cooking. But rarely do I think of the not-so-fun parts of my future, which includes paying off my debt (WOW this is a big whammy), being on my own and not living at home, paying my own bills and including all the debt I have already accumulated via student loans, where I will live (ideally I would like to live in Asheville, but I don't know if this will happen), who my roommates may be, and the really big one… MY JOB. What the heck am I going to do when I graduate?!!?!! I have no idea. I also am having to think about what type of internship I will do, which has to happen pretty soon, and I don't know the first thing about getting an internship.
Worrying about the future continually, limits our ability to enjoy the present. This year I want to live in the present. Not the future, and also not the past. Worrying about what the future holds can become unhealthy, but focusing on my past can become just as (if not more) consuming. The past has already be written, and if I am always concerned with the future I will never be able to "write" my present to it's full potential. That's what I want to do this year, live in the present. Now. This moment in time. My life is in God's hands and He's going to take great care of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment